Saturday, June 9, 2012

More so than Mary.

Yesterday was my first day out at Mattaw.  Kimberly showed me around the village and I had the opportunity to spend time with teachers, house parents, and the children.  Each little moment was so special.  This was a day for me to observe and see what life is like at Mattaw.


We arrived and students were just beginning their lunch break.  I had my first real Kenyan meal--ugali, made of maize flour and water, and sukuma, also known as cale.  It was great!  Add some vinegar and bacon, and you've almost got southern 'greens and cornbread.  After lunch, Elisha took me out to play some soccer with the other students.  We had so much fun and, turns out, I'm not that bad of a soccer play in a skirt and flip flops!    


Little man George Collins found the whistle on my backpack.  It was a hit.
Play time with Lucy.

Then it was back to school.  And this time, I got to come along.  It was awesome! I've got such teacher fever.  I get tingly inside and giddy over coming into new classrooms, and there was definitely much to see and learn from the Mattaw classrooms.  The ACE curriculum is awesome.  Students work at their own pace using leveled student workbooks.  Students are not assigned a workbook based on age, but on ability according to a placement test.  They advance as they complete each workbook.
Children working in their PACE books.
The students worked diligently and were all eager to show what they were learning.  One of the teachers, Dorkus, walked me through how the curriculum works and we discussed how we might be able to help and learn from each other.  Dorkus is incredible.  She shares the same "teacher fever" thing and is a clear leader with her fellow teachers.  Next week I hope to work with her more and get to see the whole-group instruction side of ACE.  
Teacher Helen working with a student.

Joshua
At the end of the day students packed up and began to mop the floors, and I got to sit and chat with a few of the teachers and hear about their lives.  Let's get on this in America! 

Chatting with two of the teachers at Mattaw.
Preparing to clean the school floors.

Once school was dismissed, I headed over to visit House 3 parents, Joseph and Grace.  They welcomed me with some chai and shared with me the story of how they met and then ended up at Mattaw.  I was reminded of how the Gospel is God adopting us into His family, and how their work there reflects the Gospel in the truest form.  Grace recounted the story of Mary, the mother of Jesus, and how the angel appeared to her as a virgin and told her she would bear a son.  Grace said, "Mary's joy and blessing was one child, bearing the likeness of God.  We are blessed more so than Mary, because we have thirteen.  Thirteen children made in the image of God."  I praise the Lord that by His grace alone, Grace has this mindset each day.  Her and Joseph's love for their God, each other, and their children radiates.  I am so privileged to get to glimpse it, and pray the Lord would make my heart more like it--seeing always that children are a joy and a blessing because they are made in his image.    

School's Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment