Friday, June 1, 2012

Free.

Today is a day of great celebration in Kenya.  Madaraka Day, June 1, commemorates the day in 1963 that Kenya attained internal self-rule from the United Kingdom.  Full independence came later in December 1963.  Today marks 49 years of independence for Kenya.  Today, Kenyans remember their freedom, reflecting on the courage of those before them who fought so earnestly for deliverance from colonial rule.  President Kibaki encouraged unity, productivity, and patriotism, wishing "to all Kenyans peace, prosperity, and happiness" as they look toward and "prepare to mark the Golden Jubilee as an independent nation."

I knew Kenya was a young country, but I knew nothing about this celebration until I saw where a Kenyan friend wished everyone a "Happy Madaraka Day!" on Facebook.  I've enjoyed getting to read and learn about Madaraka Day and what it means to the Kenya people.  For Americans today, colonialism is such a foreign concept.  We often take for granted the freedoms available to us as a result of the American Revolution that released our country from colonial rule.

I began to pray today the Lord would make my heart sensitive and understanding to this concept of freedom as I spend time in Kenya.  I pray that it will be our shared freedom in Christ that draws us together.  Because truly, Jesus Christ is the only one that can grant us freedom.  HE gives us reason for celebration!  Just like a people ruled by another, we all are born slaves to sin.  On our own we are without hope and powerless.  But, Hope comes to change it all.

"So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, 'If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.'  They answered him, 'We are offspring of Abraham and have never been enslaved to anyone.  How is it that you say, 'You will become free'?' Jesus answered them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who practices sin is a slave to sin.  The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son remains forever.  So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.'"  John 8:31-36

My prayer is that the Huffmans, and all teachers and staff at Mattaw will be daily strengthened through the knowledge of their freedom in Jesus--that they will be daily empowered and emboldened in their ministry by the freedom graciously given through Jesus.  I pray God will grant me the blessing of encouraging in and helping to proclaim the love and freedom in Christ alongside those at Mattaw in whichever way He wills while I'm there.  Only three more days 'til take-off!


No comments:

Post a Comment