Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Lord Provides.

Now that the Student Life teams are around Mattaw, students are only going to school for half days.  The teachers and I then work together in the afternoons.  

I observed again in the school on Monday morning, and was even able to help teach phonics.  To be honest, after I left the school for the first time last Friday, I had no idea what to do with the teachers.  The school was very different from what I expected, and the cultural differences made me much more nervous than I expected.  So, I spent much of the weekend just staring at the professional development book I brought with me and praying that God would give me ears to hear his voice for what to do.
The Huffman's have a sign hanging in their living room that reads, "Where the Lord guides, the Lord provides."  This proved so true this week.  I went into Monday morning without a clue as to what the teachers needed.  Then, as we worked through the morning, the Lord provided greatly. 


The teachers and I talked about their vision for their students and the school.  We also discussed what it takes to be a strong teacher and teach strong lessons.  I shared with them some of my hope for them.  We realized a great need was some professional development in English language instruction.


So today, tuesday, we reviewed basic phonics--vowel and consonant sounds and blends--and then review the four Design Qualities based on the work of Phillip Schlechty to begin adapting and enhancing the ACE lesson plans for the children at Mattaw.  I modeled an adapted lesson plan for them and they were very excited.  My prayer is that God will give them strength and confidence to step out and try new things in their instruction, and that the students would be ever at the forefront of their minds.  I am trusting that the Lord will provide all this in the same way he already has.  

Meeting with the six teachers at Mattaw.


I also had a chance today to do a little redecorating around Mattaw.  Using some of the materials given by coworkers and friends at home, we've started adding things to the walls to make this place look more like a school.  God has great things in the works!

Upper grades classroom.

Preschool classroom.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment