Sunday, June 24, 2012

Last Day: Part 2


From Wednesday, June 20:
I walked away from Dorcus and down the path from the school to find a great big party, put on by the two teams here from Missouri and South Carolina.  These two teams are awesome!  I was overjoyed to see all the little ones gathered in one place for face and nail painting, s'mores, and games.  So what else could I do but join in?  The teams, Keela and Anna, and I laughed and had a great time loving on the kids.  By the end of the afternoon every single child was both more colorful and sticky from both paint and marshmallows.
  





I finished painting an almost-butterfly on Faith's face (turns out I'm a better teacher than I am artist) and looked up to see everyone in a circle.  Faith, some others, and I finally joined in and the singing began.  I wasn't sure what was going on, but recognized the song as the same one the children sing to greet visitors.  This time is was to honor visitors and tell them goodbye.  And I was first.  Holy moly, did the tears come.  Jennifer pulled me to the center of the circle, we danced, and then she wrapped me in an African sarong.  Each visitor danced and was given a gift of thanks as well.  I continued to blubber uncontrollably, blaming my tears on the smoke from the s'mores fire.

Jennifer and I.
What a trade off--she gives me gift of thanks and I paint her face as if she's the Green Lantern.


The men were given hats.

There is nothing better than watching white people dance.

Let's all join in!
  
The children and house parents gathered for pictures with the teams and thanked them for coming.  Then it was my turn for a picture with all the children.  A few stepped forward and thanked me for my time here.  I had the opportunity to remind them that God has great plans for each of their lives, and to encourage them to follow him with all their hearts.  Now there was no blaming the tears on the smoke.  All I could think of was how blessed I am to know them, how grateful to the Lord I am for the opportunity to come do life with them and teach, and how much I am not ready to leave them.



We left and had a farewell dinner with Bud, Kim, the Huffman kiddos, Keela, Anna, and the teams.  I even had two pieces of chocolate cake.  TWO.  It was glorious.  I love my new friends here dearly.  Keela and I were laughing the other day and she joked, “How long have we known each other again?”  I responded, “Three weeks,” and she laughed and said, “Feels like it's been our whole lives!”  She's so right.  They keep saying they are going to all throw me to the Kenyan rats so I'll pass out so hard and miss my ride in the morning to leave.  I can only laugh nervously in response because I would never put it out as a possibility between the three of them.  I'm going to miss them very much, and am thankful for all they have taught me while I've been here.

With Keela and Anna.

Goodbye squeeze from sweet Elisha.
And I need to wash my hair.

Kim, Keela, Anna, and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment