Sunday, June 24, 2012

Busy, Busy, Busy.

From Tuesday, June 19:
I cannot begin to believe tomorrow is my last day at Mattaw.  The days have been filled and are going by so quickly here.  The teachers and I have grown very close, and I am immensely blessed to know about their lives and work.  I've been very busy at school this week.  The teachers often look at me, shake their heads and say, “Ohh, Court....Busy, busy, busy.”    Ha.  I've taught more lessons on phonics, time, and even letter writing.  It's been so much fun.  I get so excited when the students get a concept, I have found myself jumping around and waving my arms in the air in celebration.  The other day, Joshua and Saida laughed after showing me their papers and Joshua said, “I made the teacher dance with my work.”
You sure did, buddy.

Telling time lesson.


Writing friendly letters.

Mary during a lesson on long vowel sounds.

The teachers and I have continued to discuss lesson planning and student engagement based on the work of Phillip Schlechty.  I'm so proud of how far they've come, and pray they will be able to continue to implement what we have learned in their teaching.  A few of them have really begun to take ownership of the new curriculum, and students are progressing greatly as a result.

The teachers with their copies of the book. 

Don't be confused though, it's not “busy, busy, busy” all the time.  Here, we take an hour or so for lunch, and then have a short rest in the school courtyard.  I'm catching on quickly.
  

I wonder how my principal would feel about implementing this Kenyan tradition at our school all in the name of cultural enrichment...?  

I'm thinking I'd better just enjoy it while I'm here.

The afternoon topped off with some quality girl time on the side of house 1.  We sipped tea, chatted, and I even had my hair done. 

It's going to take me a long time to undo some of these braids tonight.

Some news on Esnas—She is still in the hospital, and at this point struggling greatly.  The Lord has provided immensely through many who have given toward her medical expenses and care.  Please continue to pray that the Lord would heal her and she would sense His great love through Kim and others.  


No comments:

Post a Comment